YOUR PRIVACY MATTERS
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide
We may ask you to provide personal information when you visit our Sites, use our products, register for a program or service, subscribe to a newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form, or in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available to you from time to time. We may ask you for: your name, employer, title or position, email address, mailing address, phone number, credit card or financial information, and other personal information as appropriate. Additionally, we may request information about the Control4 products you use, or third-party products connected to your Control4 system, such as model or serial numbers. In the case of a technical issue, we may also collect information relating to a support or service incident. Please note that we do not intentionally collect any sensitive personal information relating to your health or medical history, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs or sexuality; please do not provide any of this type of information to us.
Information Collected Automatically
To measure and improve the performance of our Sites, we may collect information during your visit to the Sites through our automatic data collection tools, which may include Web beacons, cookies, embedded Web links, pixel tags and other commonly used information-gathering tools. These tools help us track how users are interacting with our Sites, and help us make your visit to our Sites easier and more efficient by providing you with a customized experience and recognizing you when you return. Control4 maintains its own pages on many social networking sites, and we may also collect information from you when you interact with our social networking pages.
A "cookie" is a small piece of data stored on a user's device. When you visit the Sites, Control4 may place a "cookie" on your device which allows us to compile information about Sites usage and to recognize you when you visit the Sites again. In addition, we use pixel tags "tiny graphic images " to tell us what parts of our Sites our users have visited or to measure the effectiveness of searches performed on our Sites. This information can be used to enhance the content of the Sites and make your experience more informative. Pixel tags also enable us to send email messages in a format that users can read and tell us whether emails have been opened to help assure that we're only sending messages that are of interest to our users. If you subsequently provide us with your personal information, such as your email address, we will associate our cookies and tags with that information and you will no longer be an anonymous visitor to the Sites.
In some of our email messages we use a "click-through URL" linked to content on the Sites. When a user clicks one of these URLs, they pass through our web server before arriving at the destination web page. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our communications. If you prefer not to be tracked this way, simply avoid clicking text or graphic links in our email messages.
Like many other companies, we use third party partners to analyze data collected about your browsing behavior when you visit our Sties. Our Sites may include technology from Flurry Analytics, Google Analytics, Pardot and other similar technologies. These tools provide us with analytical information, reports and analysis about the use of our Sites, and may record the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, the type of device and operating system you are using, your general geographic information, as well as events that occur within our Site, such as the page that led you to our Sites, how often you visit pages within our Sites and other data related to the use of our Sites. We may also use these tools to help serve content that is relevant to you. For more information about these services, the related privacy policies and options available to you, please visit the websites of our analytics service providers listed above. If you wish to avoid Contol4’s use of these analytics services on our Sites, you may use any opt-out mechanisms provided by our analytics providers and/or actively manage the settings on your browser or mobile device to delete and disable cookies and other tracking/recording tools.
Do Not Track Features
Information Collected through our Products
When you install our systems to help automate your house, we receive information that you or your installer inputs into your configuration project file which may include: the model and serial numbers of the Control4 products installed; the version and type of any software installed; the type of third-party devices you integrate; the names of the rooms where you have connected devices; your zip code or time zone; and other information about your configuration. Some of our products also allow us to automatically receive data related to the functionality and use of the system, such as the time, frequency and type of use of the various components your system, a history of your device settings including any adjustments you make, data from any sensors built into the Control4 system or the products you integrate into the system, the type of media player you are using, etc. This project--specific data may be stored along with any account information you provide when you set up an account with Control4 including your email and other contact information. We use this information to help us customize our communications to you, troubleshoot problems with your system or account, and to improve the functionality of our products. More importantly, we use this information to provide the core functionality of your automation system and help make your life more comfortable and secure. By way of example, depending on how you’ve configured your Control4 system:
- We may use your zip code to determine the sunrise and sunset in your area in order to adjust thermostats or to open or close blinds at the appropriate times of day.
- If you’ve turned off all the lights in the house and locked the doors but the garage door is still open, we can send you a message asking you if you intended to leave the garage door open, and give you the option to close it remotely.
- We may use usage information from one system to trigger the automatic action of another. For example, when you arm your alarms system, all your doors will automatically lock as well, and if you subscribe to our 4Sight services, you can access your connected devises remotely.
- Our network management software available on in our Pakedge branded networking gear includes self-healing functionality that detects and remedies certain networking issues, and may also allow your independent dealer or integrator to monitor your network’s availability and functionality and to troubleshoot issues remotely.
WHY WE COLLECT INFORMATION
Control4 may collect and use your information for the following purposes:
- To personalize and customize your home automation experience.
- To improve customer service and respond to requests. Information you provide helps us respond to your service requests and support needs more efficiently, and enables us to contact you in response to your requests for product information and support.
- To share with independent dealers that sell and service Control4 products in your geographical area. We don’t typically sell our products directly to our end users, so it is important that you have access to authorized dealers to be able to purchase our products. We often first receive our end users’ information, through the registration of our systems facilitated by the end user’s registered dealer, or conversely, you may provide us your information, for the purpose of obtaining quotes from an authorized independent dealer of our products. In these instances we share the information with a certain of our independent dealers, but note that you may always contact us to change or remove any particular dealer as your registered dealer.
- To improve our products and services.
- To process orders, warranty claims and payments from our users, independent dealers and distributors.
- To run promotions, contests, surveys or other features.
- To conduct market research about our users, improve our marketing campaigns, content on our Sites, and display personalized ads to you on the internet.
- To contract you by telephone to discuss your account or respond to requests and questions.
- To send you periodic emails. We may use email addresses provided to us to send information and updates pertaining to accounts, purchases, or products. It may also be used to respond to inquiries, questions, and/or other requests. If you decide to opt-in to our mailing list, you will also receive emails that may include company news, newsletters, surveys, updates, related product or service information, and the like.
- For other purposes when we have your consent.
We may also use information in the aggregate to understand how our visitors and customers as a group use the resources provided on our Sites and improve our products. We may also share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information and data files are stored on Control4’s servers and the dedicated servers of companies we hire to provide us with storage services. Control4 takes precautions including industry standard administrative, technical, and physical measures that are designed to safeguard the personal information collected from visitors and customers against loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. When you enter personal information on our forms, we encrypt this data using SSL or other technologies. These technologies are designed to protect the confidentiality of your personal information when it's transmitted over the Internet. Notwithstanding all of our efforts, no security controls are 100% effective and Cobntrol4 cannot guarantee that third parties will never be able to defeat the security measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. In the event that your personal information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps in accordance with all applicable laws.
WHEN WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In addition, since most of our products are not typically sold to end users directly, you may request via our website or otherwise that we provide certain information to one or more of the independent dealer/installers serving your geographical area. When you create an account on our website or register your system with us, you can select an independent dealer as your Dealer of Record and allow them access to your account or automation system. If you wish to change your Dealer of Record or restrict access to your system, you can do so by logging into your account at https://my.control4.com/ or calling Control4’s Customer Advocacy team at 801-523-3100.
In Connection with an Acquisition
Control4 may transfer its database, including personal information contained therein, to a third party who acquires all or substantially all of the assets or stock of Control4 whether by merger, acquisition, reorganization or otherwise. If this occurs, the purchaser will have certain legal requirements to continue to protect your personal information, including for example an ongoing obligation to either continue to abide by the principles of the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield or delete the applicable data altogether.
In Connection with Legal Process or Investigation
Control4 may also disclose your personal information to a third party if required to do so by law or if, in good faith, Control4 believes that such action is necessary to: (i) comply with the law or with legal process or to the extent required to protect national security; (ii) protect and defend legal rights or prevent fraud; (iii) protect against abuse, misuse or unauthorized use of Control4's products or services; (iv) protect the personal safety or property of personnel, users or the public; or, (v) to auditors or lawyers as required for the limited purpose of conducting audits or corporate due diligence.
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important to Control4. For that reason, and in accordance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, we never collect or maintain information at the Sites from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of the Sites is structured to attract anyone under 13.
INTERNATIONAL VISITORS AND THE PRIVACY SHEILD FRAMEWORK
If you are accessing our Sites from regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that differ from U.S. law, then please note that your personal data will be transferred to the United States and by providing your personal data you consent to this transfer.
THIRD PARTY LINKED WEBSITES
ACCESSING AND UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION OR OPTING OUT COMMUNICATIONS FROM CONTROL4
Control4 takes reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information we process is accurate, complete and current by using the most recent information provided to us. As a visitor or consumer, you may always request access to your personal information and you may modify communication preferences by updating your account settings at my.control4.com or by contacting:
Attention: Privacy Request
11734 S. Election Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84020
At various locations on our Sites or social media pages, you have the option to opt in to receive general communications from Control4. If you opt in, you may change your mind at any time and tell us that you do not wish to receive these general messages by (i) clearly following the "unsubscribe" instructions at the bottom of any email you receive, or (ii) sending an email to email@example.com. In addition, you may contact Control4 at the above address to opt out of our sharing your information with any third party, however such a request may impair your system’s functionality or our ability to provide you with certain services.
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or your information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: March 1, 2017